LEGAL OFFICER - PROTECTION
TheAfrican Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is chargedwith spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development bypromoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples ofAfrica and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide.Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
TheCommission of the African Union invites applications from citizens of MemberStates for a position of Legal Officer - Protection in the Department of Political Affairs.
Post title: Legal Officer - Protection
Post level: P2
Unit: AfricanCommission on Human and Peoples’ RightsSupervisor: ExecutiveSecretary
Duty Station: Banjul,Gambia
2. JOB PURPOSE:
Assist theSenior Legal Officers responsible for protection activities in all the stagesinvolved in complaints handling and provide technical assistance toCommissioners in the execution of their protection mandate.
3. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Create awareness regarding the Communicationsprocedure;
· Monitor human rights situation in Africa and provideregular feedback and updates on the human rights situation in Africa;
· Undertake research into the legal issues raised in thevarious communications and the provisions of the Charter;
· Contribute articles to the African Commission's Reviewand Newsletter;
· Draft resolutions and recommendations onCommunications, cover the sessions and meetings of the African Commission andprepare the reports;
· Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Candidatesmust have a minimum of a university degreein law. A relevant advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) will beadded advantage
Candidates must have at least five (5)years of relevant professional experience. Previous experience with a humanrights organization, especially at a regional, continental or internationallevel, will be an added advantage.
6. OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS:
- Goodknowledge of the African System of human rights;
- Stronganalytical skills and ability to prepare legal opinions;
- Goodcommunication and planning skills;
- Excellentknowledge of international organizations;
- Ability to work in a team
7. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
Proficiency in one of the AfricanUnion working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working languageswould be an added advantage.
8. AGE REQUIREMENT:
Candidates must preferably be between25 and 35 years old.
9. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made ona fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the firsttwelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, thecontract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactoryperformance.
10. GENDER MAINSTREAMING:
The AU Commission is an equalopportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$27,892.00per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (46% of basicsalary), housing allowance (US$13,248.00 per annum), education allowance (75%of tuition and other related expenses for every eligible dependent up to amaximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum), etc for internationally recruitedstaff of the Commission.
The applications must be made through the AUCE-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than 23th February 2013.
Directorate of Administration and Human ResourceManagement
African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)