VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: HEAD OF SAFETY AND SECURITY
JobTitle: Headof Safety and Security
Section: Safety and SecurityUnit
Reports to: SpecialRepresentative of the Chairperson of the Commission
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Leadershipof the section and management of mission’s security. Design, provide andimplement all security services to protect mission staff and assets. Advise theSpecial Representative of the Chairperson of the Commission (SRCC), the SeniorMission Leadership Team and the Mission Senior Management Team on allsecurity-related matters. Manage the security for high-level events,conferences and meetings in which the mission is involved. Management of allstaff within the Safety and Security Unit.
- MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Ensure the safety and security of AMISOMpersonnel and assets;
· Undertake threat assessments for alllocations in the Mission area where African Union (AU) personnel are present;
· Establish close working relations with thehost government, security agencies and forces of the host country, commercialsecurity companies, embassies and international organisations in the missionarea;
· Supervise the identification of security, criminal, political andmilitary trends that would increase risk to the mission, its personnel andassets;
· Develop and implement security systems forthe mission;
· Improve the security of AMISOM facilitiesthroughout the mission’s area of operations;
· Ensure that security equipment and proceduresare consistent with the procedures and standards of the AU;
· Ensure availability of emergencycommunications by making periodic checks to determine if system is adapted andfunctioning properly;
· Prepare and update the mission security plan,contingency plan, security risk assessments, and minimum operating securitystandards (MOSS);
· Manage security arrangements for meetings,conferences and events in which the mission and its personnel are involved;
· Maintain continuing awareness of prevailinglocal security conditions, identifying probable threats and advising AU staff,project personnel and others as relevant to follow appropriate preventativesteps;
· Manage the provision of regular securitybriefings and determine need for, and provide training and advice to AU staffon residential security measures;
· Manage and supervise the investigation ofsecurity-related incidents;
· Establish procedures for and conductinvestigations on all deaths and all accidents and incidents in which missionstaff have been victims of crime;
· Evaluate effectiveness of prevailing firesafety measures in effect in assigned areas of responsibility, including fireprevention devices, fire-fighting equipment, and evacuation plans;
· Advise the SRCC, the Senior Mission Leadership Team and theMission Management Team on all security matters;
· Deliver periodic and incidental reports for senior management anddaily security reports; and
· Perform any other tasks as directed/requested.
Minimum Master’s UniversityDegree or equivalent in Disaster or EmergencyManagement, Political Science, Military Science, Public Administration, LawEnforcement, Law or similar fields.
Atleast 15 years work experience in a related field with Government, NGO, thinktank, or similar multilateral, regional or international institution, of which8 years must be in a senior managerial position. Experience in a nationalpolice or security service context is essential. Previous experience in a peacekeepingoperation is an asset.
- SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
· Ability to work closely with governments,NGOs and multi-lateral institutions in complex political affairs, peace andsecurity undertakings; good interpersonal skills and the ability to establishand maintain effective working relations with mission leaderships, securityofficers in other agencies, specialists in other security related fields,representatives of local and national governments and others
· Excellent knowledge of security management,combined with solid background of military or other security specialisation(Peacekeeping, military, police or security services experience essential)
· Demonstrable ability to plan,organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field
· Ability to expeditiously designand implement a wide range of African Union security management policies andprocedures
· Ability to identify priorityactivities and assignments and to make adjustments as and when required
· Ability to make quick decisions inemergencies or when rapid response is required
· Ability to effectively deal with stressfactors when encountered
· Technological Awareness: Good computerskills, particularly in relation to security management and monitoring
· Excellent writing, negotiating, analyticaland communication skills.
· Ability to work in a multicultural setting
· Prepared to work in a hardship, highly pressurizedand sometimes hazardous environment
7. AGE REQUIREMENT:
Candidatesmust preferably be between 40 to 60 years old.
- LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
Fluencyin spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of other working languagesof the African Union would be an added advantage (Arabic, French andPortuguese).
- GENDER MAINSTREAMING :
TheAU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are stronglyencouraged to apply.
- TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment shall be foran initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewablesubject to performance and availability of funds.
11. REMUNERATION:The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 131,527.90inclusiveof all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and
US$119, 922, 65 inclusiveof all allowances for locally recruited staff
Applications must be made through theAUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org not later than12th November 2012.
Directorateof Administration and Human Resource Management