VACANCYANNOUNCEMENT: Senior Project Officer (African Internet ExchangeSystem)
The growing use of Internet over the past several years is beginning toplay a significant role in Africa’s development. Due to the lack of efficientpaths on the African continent, inter-African telecommunications trafficexchange is carried outside the continent, mainly to the USA and Europe, whichis very costly as well as an inefficient way of handling inter-country exchangeof Internet traffic.
Inresponse to the above, the African Union Commission with the support of theEU-Africa Infrastructure Trust Fund (ITF) has initiated the implementation ofthe African Internet Exchange System project (AXIS). The AXIS project aims to support and facilitate the establishment of anAfrican internet infrastructure through capacity building and technicalassistance to Internet Service Providers and Internet Community Stakeholders,supporting set-up of internet exchange points, establishment of RegionalInternet Hubs and Regional Internet Carriers and Continental Internet Carriers.
The ITF Grantwill also support a number of activities related to the preparation and set-upof this project, in particular for the financing of Project staff to be locatedat the African Union Commission.
- Post :
Job Title: Senior Project Officer (AfricanInternet Exchange System)
Supervisor: Head,Information Society Division
Post Level: P3 Step 5
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: Twelve moth ( renewable)
- Job Purpose:
To implementand manage critical paths/milestones and monitoring mechanisms for thesuccessful realization of the African Internet Exchange System (AXIS) project.
- Major duties and responsibilities:
· Ensure highquality and timely production of all deliverables of the AXIS project throughproper quality control assessments;
· Develop detailed Request for Proposals and liaise withthe relevant department responsible for procurement on the selection process tohost Regional Internet Exchange Hubs and the & Continental InternetExchange System;
· Develop Request for Proposals and liaise with therelevant department responsible for procurement on the selection process tohost Regional Internet Carriers and Continental Internet Carriers;
· Develop communications,dissemination and publicity strategy for the African Internet Exchange System;
· Develop a monitoring and evaluation process for theAXIS project;
· Support the Information Society Division to implementall activities related to the Africa Internet Exchange System;
· Perform any other dutiesassigned by the supervisor.
- Qualifications and Experience Required
Advanced university Master degreein Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems, Electrical/ElectronicEngineering or A Bachelor’s Degree with at list 8 years of relevant experience.
- Professional experience required:
Prior experience of at least 5 yearsin planning, design and administering of Internet Exchange Points, including atleast 2 years of direct relevant work experience in managerial positioninvolving Internet Exchange Points
6. Other relevant skills:
· Certificationrelevant to Internet Exchange Points as part of continuous learning is an addedadvantage. Certification should demonstrate advanced qualifications and broadknowledge of technical aspects of Internet Exchange Points;
· Experience in project cycle management, especiallymonitoring and evaluation of ICT projects;
· Experience with procurement processes and regulations;
· Excellent drafting skills andreporting skills, written and oral;
· Good computer skills, proficient with projectmanagement applications including Microsoft Project;
· Languageskills : fluency (spoken and written) in any of the African Union workinglanguages. Proficiency in two (English and French) of the African Union workinglanguages is an added advantage ;
· Knowledge of the African Union system is desirable.
· Work planning andorganization ability;
· Problem solving ability;
· Diplomacy skills;
· Ability to establish andmaintain excellent work relationships on all levels within a multiculturalenvironment;
· Conscientiousness withrespect to Results and Quality, Sense of Responsibility.
7. Expected Deliverables
· AXIS Project Implementation Plan using standardproject management tool
· AXIS Project Monitoring & Evaluation Plan
· Dissemination & PublicityStrategy for the African Internet Exchange System
· AXIS Project Communication Plan
· Terms of Reference forRegional Internet Exchange Hubs and Continental
· Terms of Reference forRegional Internet Carrier & Continental Internet Carrier
- Language requirement
Proficiencyin one of the African Union working languages is a requirement; Knowledge ofone or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
8. Age requirement:
Candidatesmust preferably be between 30 and 45 years old.
9. Tenure of Appointment:
Theappointment shall be for an initial period of One (1) years, the first three (3)months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject toperformance , deliverables andavailability of funds.
10. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equalopportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
11. Remuneration:The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$74,538.17inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and
US$ 64,868.51 inclusive of all allowances for locallyrecruited staff
Applications must be madethrough the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org not laterthan 27th August 2012.
Directorateof Administration and Human Resource Management