VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: SeniorPolicy Officer
(Maritimeand Inland Water Transport)
The AfricanUnion, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged withspearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development bypromoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples ofAfrica and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide.Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking toachieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacityto deliver by, among others, the implementation of new organization structureand the filling of vacant posts.
The Commissionof the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States forthe post of Senior Policy Officer (Maritime and Inland Water Transport).
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer (Maritime and Inland WaterTransport)
Post Level: P3
Duty Station: AddisAbaba, Ethiopia
Supervisor: Headof Transport and Tourism Division
2. Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiate the formulation of policies, plans of action, programmes and project proposals relating to the maritime and inland water transport sub-sector;
- Facilitate implementation, monitoring, supervision and evaluation of maritime and inland water transport projects and programmes;
- Prepare and coordinate studies and research in the field of maritime and inland water transport;
- Organise and service workshops, seminars and meetings on maritime and inland water transport matters;
- Facilitate activities of specialized technical committee(s) and sub-committees on maritime and inland water transport issues;
- Maintain working relations with RECs and other regional and international organizations in maritime and inland water transport matters;
- Ensure overall management of the maritime and inland water transport unit including preparation of its budget and supervising subordinate staff and short-term experts in conformity with relevant rules procedures in force;
- Produce and submit periodic reports on activities and specific missions; and
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned.
3. Qualificationsand Experience Required
Ø Candidatesmust have at least a University Master Degree in maritime affairs, maritimelaw, marine engineering, economics, or equivalent qualification.
Ø Ahigher qualification will be and added advantage.
4. Professional experiencerequired:
- Candidates must have at least Seven (7) years of progressively relevant experience in maritime and inland water transport policy development as well as programme/project management with a minimum of 3 years in senior position;
- Experience in regional and international maritime and inland water transport issues is desirable.
5. Other Relevant Skills:
§ Planning and organising - Provenability to plan and organise work within a project; ability to make timelydecisions;
§ Communication - Effective written,oral and presentation skills, particularly ability to draft/present informationin a concise and accurate manner; ability to develop consensus among peoplewith varying points of view.
§ Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skillsand ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability toestablish and maintain effective working relations with people of differentnational and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
§ Judgment/Decision-making - Goodjudgment and initiative, imagination and resourcefulness, energy and tact,ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximize productivity andachieve Unit’s goals.
§ Well-developed ICT skills includingefficient use of word processing, spreadsheets and other important computerapplications.
6. Language Requirement:
Proficiencyin one of the African Union working languages. Proficiency of one or severalother working language(s) would be an added advantage.
7. Age Requirement:
Candidates must preferably be between 30 and 45 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on fixed term contract for a period of three(3) years, of which the first twelve months be consider as a probationaryperiod. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two (2) yearsrenewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
9. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified womenare strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$33,619.00 per annum plus other relatedentitlements e.g. post adjustment (46% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$14,414.40per annum), education allowance (75% of tuition and other related expenses forevery eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum),etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission.
The applications must be made through the AUCE-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than 6th August 2012.
Directorate of Administration and Human ResourceManagement
African Union Commission