VACANCYANNOUNCEMENT: HEAD OF DIVISION (CULTURE )
The African Union, established as aunique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’srapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity,cohesion and cooperation among the people of Africa and African States as wellas developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in AddisAbaba, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective,the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, amongothers, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling ofall vacant posts.
JobTitle: HEADOF DIVISION: CULTURE
Department: Department for Social Affairs (DSA )
ImmediateSupervisor: Directorfor Social Affairs
DutyStation AddisAbaba, Ethiopia
2. MajorDuties And Responsibilities
- To initiate the preparation and formulation of appropriate programs, policies and strategies related to Culture at the continental level and in monitoring their implementation within Member States;
- To prepare programmes and budget proposals, project and funding proposals and relating to programmes of the Division;
- To set direction for the Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows and facilitate communication and cooperation in the Division and with other Divisions in the Department;
- To monitor operational activities and programme implementation in terms of expenditure and substance and prepare progress reports with recommendations for corrective action to the Director when necessary. Ensure delivery of activities;
- To analyze and monitor all aspects of Culture and provide expertise, policy advice and technical leadership within the DSA and AUC;
- To advocate for and sensitize Member States and other stakeholders on commitments of Heads of State and Government related to Culture;
- To prepare and manage Ministerial Conferences and other meetings and activities including the preparation of documents and reports;
- To promote, coordinate and harmonize the activities and programmes of the sectors/units within the Division and with relevant departments of the Commission;
- To study and analyze problem situations and major trends and plan and harmonize related programmes and issues in Members States as well as global commitments in relation to programme areas within the Division;
- To represent the Department in all meetings and activities related to Culture and report back on issues discussed and on action required;
- To assist the Director in enhancing cooperation and collaboration with relevant Departments of the Commission, Member States, UN Agencies, AU partners, specialized institutions and Non-Governmental organizations (NGO’s) and other relevant organizations;
- To promote African and International regional cooperation in collaboration with Member States, RECs and inter-governmental organizations, NGOs particularly in implementing decisions and AU Plans of Action;
- To ensure overall management of the Division; including staffing issues, performance, quality assurance, grievance and manage budget;
- To produce and submit periodic reports on activities including specific missions and progress reports on the implementation of various policy instruments and decisions on Culture;
- To perform any other duties as may be assigned.
3. Qualificationsand Experience Required:
Candidates must have a MinimumMasters University Degree in Cultural Studies,Education and Training, Development Studies, Social Sciences, or any otherrelevant disciplines.
4. Professional experiencerequired:
Candidates must have at least 10 years of appropriateexperience in Culture/Education and Training related issues, at national,regional or international level of which at least 3 years should be atmanagement level.
5. Other Relevant Skills:
- Working knowledge in the areas of policy analysis, and program / project management;
- Experience in management with ability to facilitate interpersonal relationships, organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent ability in drafting and report writing;
- Good skills of communication and negotiation;
- Good skills in planning, organization and team Building;
- Must be computer literate.
6. Language requirements:
Proficiency in one of the AfricanUnion working languages. Knowledge of one or severalother working language(s) would be an added value.
7. Age requirement:
Candidates must preferably bebetween 35 to 50 years of age.
8. Tenure of Appointment:
Theappointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months willbe considered as a probationary period.Thereafter, the contract could be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance.
9. Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equalopportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10.Remuneration: Indicative basic salary ofUS$45,551.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment(46% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($16,819.20 perannum), educationallowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for everyeligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum),etc forinternationally recruited staff of the Commission.
Applications must be madethrough the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.orgnot later than 28 May 2012.
Directorateof Administration and Human Resource Management